Transpower contractors will be operating in Puketiro/Hydro Valley.
Northpower pylon refurbishment will resume along Hydro Valley and Hydro Road.
- Any incidents resulting in fire or potential for fire are to be reported immediately call 111
- Rock Garden experienced 4WD drivers only due to difficult terrain
- Caution is required when driving on all the forest's roads. Hazards may include fallen trees, washout debris and slips
- Speed limit on forest roads is 30km/h
- Devils Staircase/Rock Garden route difficult terrain experienced trail/quad riders only
- Extra care needed when using all ford crossings
Akatarawa Forest Block
- Greater Wellington Regional Council Rangers will be on duty throughout the Forest.
- Whakatikei wetland closed to all motorised recreation users.
Metro Plantation Forestry Akatarawa
Pig hunting in the Metro Forest is now open. Permits are required - apply for your permit now.
There are to be no fires lit and no cigarette smoking within the exotic forest estate. Any fires need to be reported to the Forest360 forest manager immediately after calling 111.
- Please note the radio frequency in this forest. All users must have FOMS1 for communicating
- SRG Global will be undertaking works on the pylons in Puketiro forest over the next month
- Forest closure Monday 14 November - Friday 2 December. Forest360, Metro Forest managers, will be harvesting Tassies block and the areas alongside Karapoti and Hukinga Valley Roads, and due to the extremely high risk of trees landing on the road and endangering recreational users, the decision has been made to close the forest. From Monday 14 to Friday 2 December there will be no public recreational access into or through the harvest sites, and this applies to both weekdays and weekends. The forest will be open to public recreational access again after the harvest operation is completed. Download a map of the closed area. (PNG 2.6 MB) For more information contact 0800 496 734.
- Forest360, Metro Forest managers, will be harvesting Tassies block and Hukinga Valley. From August 2022 to February 2023 there will be no public recreational access into or though the harvest sites. This will apply to weekdays only, and public recreational access will be open on weekends. The exception to this is the closure of the forest on November 19-20 and 26-27. However the harvest sites will still be restricted for access. Alternative access is open on the Kāpiti side of Akatarawa forest at Perhams road via Maungakotukutuku Valley road. Download a map of the closed area. (PNG 2.6 MB) For more information contact 0800 496 734.
- Harvesting operations have finished.
Valley View Forest
- Thinning operations are underway on Valley View Road around the 7 and 8km markers.
- Radio communication on these roads at all times.
KNE feral ungulate hunting schedule
- Maungakotukutuku Forest Goat control planned, near adjoining KCDC land
Get in touch